Like a lighthouse in the storm, her mission is to provide guidance for professionals, corporate management teams and entrepreneurs, for change seekers - in order to reach the next level of their career, to build their personal brand or to improve their current business management.
Personal Branding is a practice that professionals use in order to transform themselves and their careers into Brands, which can then be marketed. No matter if you are an entrepreneur or you plan to become one, I offer here some useful aspects which can help you building your personal brand.
1. You don’t have to build your brand from scratch.
You are already known for something, keep what is valuable and build on it!
2. In the business world, perception is reality. If people seek you out for something specific, it means that area of expertise is the one which you best communicate on. It is also a very good place to start building your personal brand on!
3. Brand is not only a concept, you need to live according to it on a daily basis. Hence, your brand must be connected to your core values and principles in life.
4. You have a plan? Good! But what does your destination look like? If you don’t know what your destination looks like how is your brand going to take you there?
5. Building a reputation takes time – add value to your brand and be the person/brand people want near them!
6. Find out how others perceive you. You can choose to either change others’ perception of your brand or you can choose to make deep changes. At the end of the day this is the beauty of the entire process – you can shape your personal brand as you see fit!
7. Constantly show your brand to the world! Promote your brand with everything you do!
8. Promoting your brand should not be difficult as long it is authentic and in line with your core values and who you really are!
9. Personal branding highlights what make you unique and remarkable to others. This could be the difference between success and failure!
10. Network! Connect with people who hold positions of authority in your field in order to foster your own credibility!
11. Never ignore the support system you need: mentors, personal branding specialists and external coaches!
12. Strive to build a long-lasting image! Live your brand! Be Authentic!
During a recent interview, I have been asked: “What are the most frequent mistakes professionals who don’t use specialists in personal branding make?”
Here are 8 mistakes I found in my experience:
- Do not send through a false image. Be yourself and communicate based on the values you believe in. If you know yourself and what you are capable of, you can use this as a solid foundation for building your personal brand. Also decide on what the mission of your brand is. A little introspection cannot do any harm.
- Think before you act. Do not over-share information of opinions unrelated to your brand, even if you really feel like posting something quirky from your latest holiday. Communicate following a plan and pay attention to content.
- Focus on quality, not quantity. Be sure to aim you resources at building something worthy and take care not to overwork yourself. There will always come a time when you will not be able to keep up with frequent communication and your target audience will not look kindly on this absence.
- Select who to be famous for and focus communication on your area of interest.
- Communicating your personal brand is not something to be done exclusively online. Do not underestimate the value of face to face interactions, networking and building long term relationships. Build you brand both in the real and the online words.
- Do not go into battle alone – take valuable resources along, if possible. It is better to go along with a specialist, then to stumble on your own along the way, with nobody to understand what you are saying.
- Personal Branding is about giving. What values do you bring to the table, what makes you unique and why should people choose you?
- Measure your goals and achievement. It helps take you to the next level.
In the end, be yourself, express the authentic YOU and results and new opportunities for your business will be created!
You can learn more about personal branding, steps in personal branding, the communication cycle and much more during a personalised session. Don’t be afraid to shine!